Thursday, January 31, 2008

Old School Thursday: Pop Foods & Globalization

Happy National Brandy Alexander Day! Do people even drink things like that anymore? I know that a few years ago, there was a resurgence of classic cocktails…but it didn’t extend to my house.

Speaking of classic, today has a few dogs in the “global products” fight. (Maybe I should’ve waited until today to write my “OK just go global” post.)

Today in 1893, the Coca-Cola trademark was recorded. Nearly 90 years later, in 1980, Coke began substituting high fructose corn syrup instead for half the (more expensive) sugar in their products – at least their products sold in the US. I’m not sure how controversial the switch was at the time, but I do know that there are some soft drink experts who believe that a switch back to sugar would be a smart move these days.

In other global junk food news, today in 1990, the first McDonald’s opened in Moscow. I won’t go on and on about it, but events like this played an important role in my decisions to major in international relations, minor in art history and eventually get into advertising. Behold the regime-shifting power of global brands and all that. I am painfully theoretical sometimes.

And on a totally different note, today in 1948, the New Yorker published J.D. Salinger’s essay “A Perfect Day for Banana Fish” – eventually the first essay in Nine Stories, a book that I was (predictably) obsessed with around ninth grade. Dixon is probably lucky he’s not named Seymour.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails