Friday, August 16, 2013

Dressing and More Dressing

I have been on a vinaigrette-making tear lately.

Overall, I'm sure I make more vinaigrette than the average person; I have an aversion to bottled salad dressings. (Although, randomly, I am embarrassingly enamored by bottled French dressing. Not sure why. I love it like kids love Cheetos.)

But usually  my vinaigrettes are pretty standard: a little oil, little vinegar, salt and pepper, drop of maple syrup, maybe a scoop of Dijon if I'm feeling kicky. Nothing crazy. But for some reason, lately, I've been feeling adventurous. I've been using...recipes.

First, I made the roasted sweet onion dressing from the September Food & Wine. On a Cobb salad - as the magazine suggests - it was pretty good. But as a dressing for warm potato salad with bacon and chives, it was much better.

As a follow-up, I made this lemon vinaigrette, spotted in a Garden & Gun email. I skipped the salad, instead using it to marinate rockfish (only $12.99 a pound at Conrad's right now! Yay for August!). It was lovely - just tart and herbaceous enough, but not overbearing at all.

Of course, now I have a ton of both left over. Looks like it's salad for dinner tonight.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails