Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bourdain on Bloggers: "It's Just Food"

As I've mentioned (at length), I'm kind of anti-Bourdain these days, since his handling of his visit to Baltimore has colored the way I view all of his shows. With that in mind, it's no surprise that I didn't like the way he handled the blogging segment of this week's show on "obsession."

Bourdain interviewed the three guys involved in the eGullet drama, mocking them in the narration for - gasp - taking pictures of their food. "It's just food," he said, over and over again.

Which I might buy if he didn't host a show that's all about how food relates to culture. And if he didn't talk - during the very same conversations - about how food can evoke memory.

Just food, Bourdain? I don't think so. And neither do you.

3 comments:

Beth said...

there was a columnist in Bon Appetit this month ragging on all of the "amatuer food photographers" out there taking pictures of food. It really rubbed me the wrong way. I get it that's annoying on some level for people to be taking pictures, but don't knock the whole food blogging community! Who do they think is reading their magazine. Or watching those Food Network shows?

Kit Pollard said...

I know! And yes, I also get that it's annoying to be next to a table full of flashbulbs, but it's not like Bourdain's crew doesn't have a camera or two, so he doesn't really have room to talk.

A. Barger said...

I know you used to love him. I thought I was really getting into his show, but I realize now, I am just not a big fan at all. I think Mark Bittman (sp?) should get his own show. I loved him in the documentary Spain on the Road again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails