Thursday, February 11, 2010

Old School Thursday: Buried Under 100 Feet of Snow Edition

Today is Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day. Does that mean I should stop whining about stuff that’s already happened? Stuff like the 4 feet of snow in my backyard? Because I’m not sure I can stop.

Moving on. Its also National Peppermint Patty Day and that seems sort of appropriate, since when you bite into a York Peppermint Patty, you’re instantly transported to a ski slope or the center of a blizzard or…my backyard.

Sorry, got caught back up in the whining.

Really moving on this time, today is a pretty big day, birthday-wise. In 1802, abolitionist and writer Lydia Maria Francis Child was born. Among her contributions is a book called The American Frugal Housewife, an advice book about, well, you get it (and it's still in print!). As far as I can tell, Child was kind of a multimedia power in her day. Oprah for the 1800s?

Not quite 50 years later, in 1847, Thomas Edison was born. Though he’s not exactly a foodie figure, his inventions (like, say, the light bulb) certainly do make cooking easier.

Next up, in 1926, the world welcomed future Michelin starred-restaurateur, Paul Bocuse. As famous a name as Bocuse has, I didn’t actually know all that much about him until I started reading Au Revoir to All That (which, as I’ve mentioned, is really very good). Sorry to say to Chef Bocuse, what I’ve learned hasn’t made me like him a whole lot and hit hasn’t made me want to eat at his food. But he’s clearly an important figure anyway.

And finally, today in 1963, the world saw a birthday of a different sort, when "The French Chef," Julia Child’s groundbreaking TV series, premiered (the book is available here).

So…how to celebrate? Cheap French food and calls to anyone you know named “Child”?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails