Friday, April 10, 2015

Mixology Engineering

This cocktail guide, published by the US Forest Service in 1974, is absolutely the best. Cool vintage drawings, way more precision than necessary, detailed keys.

According to Esquire, it's the work of Red Ketchum, a Forest Service engineer who passed away in 2005. Apparently, he drew them as sort of a joke but they ended up in the for-real archives anyway. Possibly by mistake...but what a glorious mistake that is.

At any rate, I love every part of it. The pictures are cute...and full of solid information. I like a little precision in my cocktails.

When someone else is making them, that is. I certainly don't have the kind of patience required to measure that carefully. But I'm glad that some people do.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails