Thursday, October 16, 2014

Trendy: Sidewinder Fries (with a side of Fieri sauce)

In Canton, Silks is doing it.

Downtown, Guy Fieri also does it.

What more could you want?

As a side note, I think it's great that Richard Gorelick avoided the urge to lay down the snark - any snark, really - in his review of Guy Fieri's Baltimore Kitchen + Bar. He defends his choice to be sincere, saying"you'd have to have a heart of stone not to respond, on some level, to its good cheer and basic American enthusiasm."

I think this is the right approach. From a restaurant perspective, Fieri is such low-hanging fruit. I'll admit, I laughed when I read Pete Wells' NYT takedown of the Fieri's Times Square restaurant - but I also cringed. Pete Wells was clearly not the audience for that place and he knew it. He reviewed so he could mock.

Yes, as a public figure - especially one with such a very, very clearly branded image - Fieri opens himself up to mockery. I get that his public persona can be grating. But he means well - that much is obvious.

So I'm glad to hear he makes a good burger and trains a friendly, knowledgeable waitress. Annoying catchphrases or no, I'd rather see him succeed than fail. This is America, after all.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails