Thursday, September 15, 2011

Old School Thursday: Candy & Condiments Edition

Today is National Creme de Menthe Day. Grasshopper brownies for everyone!

The rest of today’s food news actually happened in my lifetime. First, today in 1981, the USDA announced that ketchup could be counted as a vegetable in school lunches. For most of my life, I sneered at this decision, despite ketchup’s lycopene-y cancer-fighting properties. Then I had a kid who wouldn’t eat vegetables and, well, my definition of “veg” has loosened up a bit.

Fast-forward 14 years, to 1995, when today tan M&Ms were replaced by blue ones. Unlike the ketchup decision, I still haven’t quite gotten over this one. On one hand, I never really liked the tan M&Ms anyway (who needs tan and brown?). But on the other, tan is what I knew. It’s what I grew up with. Blue looks like a novelty color – still.

In the grand scheme of things, though, kind of a trivial day all around?

UPDATE: Math fixed, thanks to Discovery Doug.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails