Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Report from the Field: Toigo Orchard Bourbon Peaches

A long, long time ago - last summer, in fact - I found myself obsessed with the idea of bourbon peaches. I saw a Food & Wine blurb about the peaches made at Toigo Orchard in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania (not so far from here) and I was positively compelled to order them.

Which is weird, really, since Cooper and I share a serious aversion to bourbon, thanks to our bourbon-soaked years in college in Virginia. But the peaches sounded so good. I wanted somebody to try them.

Fortunately, not only does our friend Clancy love bourbon (he went to college in New York, so he wasn't ruined like we were), his birthday happened to be about a week after bourbon peach fever hit me.

So I got online and shipped Clancy a jar of peaches. An hour or so later, I got an email from Toigo Orchards asking me for feedback and telling me that I was the very first person to order something from their website. Kind of cool, right?

Anyway, this is a long way to get to the punchline: Clancy and his wife, Suzanne, finally ate the peaches last week. This is what he had to say:
Suzanne and I just inhaled those bourbon peaches you sent....They were legit....a sweet bourbon taste without that harsh hard-liquor taste....So, as I said, I'm sure this is so last years news, but I thought the least I could do was give you the down low from us.....

So there you have it. If you like bourbon, the peaches are good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails