Thursday, August 14, 2008

Old School Thursday: Blackout Edition

Well, today in 1897, the largest sturgeon ever caught (1387 pounds) was bagged on the Fraser River.

And that’s pretty much it for the day. Oh, it’s National Creamsicle Day, and St. Werenfrid’s Day (patron of vegetable gardens) and St. Arnulf of Soissons Day (patron of brewers and millers), but those are arbitrary. The really famous saints.

Nothing else major of note happened today in food history. Unless you count the blackout. Five years ago today, huge chunks of the northeast experienced a blackout, and millions of people were stuck with no air conditioning and nothing more than a random candy bar to eat.

The blackout didn’t extend down to Baltimore, but as it happens, I wasn’t in Baltimore five years ago today. I was in Chicago. I had a meeting (that went badly) at Motorola. We flew in and out of O’Hare (which is not my preferred means of getting to Chicago – Midway is much easier). When we arrived at the airport for our flight home, we found a big, huge mess.

The power was on in Chicago, too, but tons of people flying to NYC and other blacked out locations were stuck in the airport. I’d been up since, like 4 am and just wanted to go home. Instead, along with my coworkers, I sucked up having to wear actual business clothes for a little longer (as opposed to flip flops and shorts, which is what I wore into the office every day) and ordered a really, really big Miller Lite draught with a side of fried whatever from the airport TGI Fridays.

Fortunately, we made it home just a couple of hours late. But WOW was I panicked for a few minutes when we got to the airport.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails