Monday, April 28, 2008

Trendy Monday: Savory Dessert Reprise, Plus Some

Two months ago, I posted about the trend towards serving savory desserts. I realize it's a little lazy to link to a post I wrote recently, but I can't stop thinking about them - especially after watching this week's Top Chef. This morning, I read John's liveblog of the last episode, and was reminded that Richard won (again) in the Quickfire by mocking up a sweet dessert to look savory. And wasn't Mark's crazy, pretty plate somehow savory, too?

It seems to me that the most interesting modern food falls into one of two categories. It's either super straightforward and almost rustic, or it pretends to be something other than what it is. As our boy Richard would say, it's "witty." (I think I'm counting fusion in the second category.)

That these two polar opposites are holding court in kitchens today seems natural to me. But it also makes me wonder what's next for food. Where else can it go?

As much as I read about food trends, I have no idea what the answer is.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails