Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Quotable Tuesday: Julia

It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. ~Julia Childs

I'm in the middle of (finally) reading The United States of Arugula. Don't ask me why it's taken me so long to read it - I can't believe it myself. It's the kind of book that's all but written for me, and every night when I put it down, I'm a little bit depressed that I didn't write it myself.

My self-involvement aside, the book is a great reminder that before we were subjected to Rachael and Sandra Lee and whoever else, there was Julia. She was charming and funny and a little bit awkward and very real.

And I can't imagine her ever getting a TV deal today. What a shame. Doesn't it make you wonder what potentially amazing cooking personalities are out there today, being kept off the screen by the lure of a "$40 a Day" marathon?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails