Monday, May 18, 2009

Trendy Monday: Freebies

This will come as a surprise to no one, but apparently the word "free" drives up internet traffic.

I don't employ it much myself - ever, really, until just now - but I have heard more than a little anecdotal evidence from other bloggers (especially Examiner writers) about the magical power of "free." These are often complaints, and I understand them. While it's easy to get caught up in writing stuff that will drive traffic, I know that I certainly don't get excited to read blog posts that are nothing more than ads for free ice cream cones or whatever.

But here's something I do find interesting: the restaurant trend towards offering free food to bring customers in the door. It's a lower end promotion - Denny's is most notable - but somewhat similar to higher end promotions like half-price wine nights and two-for-one entrees.

By early accounts, it's working, too. So it'll be interesting to see how that plays out as the economy improves and if customers' expectations will shift over time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails