Thursday, May 14, 2009

Old School Thursday: Chicken Dance to Foie Gras Edition

Today is National Buttermilk Biscuit Day and National Dance Like a Chicken Day. Somehow, they seem related to me. Probably because sometime around 1990, I was friends with this girl Melissa who loved a song called, “Buttermilk Biscuits.” I haven’t heard it since then and it might have been the single worst rap song ever recorded. But somehow it fits with the chicken dance.

But let me back up. The chicken dance has a day? Every week, I am surprised by who has a lobby. I’m just glad I’m not jaded.

In other news, today’s a sort of mix of anniversaries, mostly somehow celebrating processed or genetically modified food. Today in 1853, Gail Borden applied for a patent for condensed milk. For that I am thankful, because without it, there would be no tres leches cake.

Decades later, in 1919, Henry John Heinz, the founder of the HJ Heinz Company, died. His brand, obviously, lived on. And speaking of strong brands, today in 1985, the very first McDonald’s, located in Des Plains, Illinois, became a fast food museum, aka Morgan Spurlock’s own personal hell.

In more recent fast food news, today in 1991, the world’s largest burrito was created. Weighing in at 1,126 pounds, I’m sure it was nothing short of delicious. Not quite as delicious? Three years later, the FDA deemed the “Flavr Savr” tomato – a food developed through biotechnology – safe. Yes, I know this is a great advance in terms of solving hunger problems. But I also blame genetic modification on my years of disliking tomatoes. I had no idea.Finally, in a break from all that is processed, and an enormous gain for foodies everywhere (but a giant blow to PETA), one year ago today, the Chicago City Council repealed its ban on foie gras.

So today, as you do your chicken dance, you have your choice. McDonald’s (with ketchup and tomatoes) or foie. Hmm. Tough one.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails