Monday, February 23, 2009

Trendy Monday: Greek Meets Mex

A couple of weeks ago, I spent one day playing Kit Pollard, Girl Reporter - basically, trekking all over Baltimore, checking out museums. My journey took me all the way down Eastern Avenue, from Fells to Dundalk. It been a while since I'd made that drive, and every time I do I notice that more and more of the storefronts are en espangnol.

I think it's great - the more Hispanic-influenced food, the better - but as I drove through Greektown I had to wonder if everybody feels the same way I do. The old Greek restaurants are still there, of course, and the blue and white banners hanging from the street lamps assure visitors that the neighborhood hasn't changed too much. But it'd be hard not to notice the little grocery stores and cafes popping up.

What does this mean for Greektown? For Baltimore's Greek community? For Baltimore's Greek food? Is it in danger of extinction?

And at the same time, I couldn't help but wonder about the potential here. Greek-Mex fusion? I think I can imagine it. Does it exist?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails