Thursday, June 07, 2012

Michigan Side Trip: Zingerman's Roadhouse

I picked up this postcard during our meal at Zingerman's Roadhouse. The aesthetic...it's just so Zingerman's.
When we landed in Detroit on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, I had no idea the surprise in store for me. Our friend Sam picked us up and once we got in the car, asked, "Did you all eat a big breakfast?"

Why no, no we did not. We'd gotten up at 4 a.m. to make our 6:30 flight, but all we managed to eat was a bag of Combos. One bag for the three of us (yes, we are the best parents ever).

"Good," Sam replied. "I have a surprise for you. We're stopping at Zingerman's."

I - literally - squealed with delight.

I've been a fan of Zingerman's products for years. I read every catalog cover to cover. My pantry and bar are stocked with small bottles and cans of interesting stuff, courtesy of the Michigan company. Naturally, I was psyched.

As a result, I can't write an objective review of the place, but I can say it was awesome. As we drove, Sam explained we'd actually go to Zingerman's Roadhouse, not the original deli. The Roadhouse is a barbecue and American food place with smokers in the back, drive-through service via Airstream trailer, and tchotchkes all over the inside. Walking into the Roadhouse feels like walking into a Zingerman's catalog - it's got the same funky America vibe. Unsurprisingly, I loved it.

My breakfast was simple - fried eggs, thick bacon, grits - but fantastic. They came with a small dish of Buffalo-style hot sauce that cleared my head on the first taste, but mellowed out a little when mixed with the grits. I like a nice hot sauce on the side.

I do have to admit that the service wasn't stellar - I'm pretty sure our waitress was new, as she couldn't answer any questions and didn't exactly move at the speed of light. But we were in no rush. In my post-plane/pre-big weekend exhaustion, I couldn't have been happier.

On the way out, I stopped to grab a tin of Zingerman's Roadhouse Coffee Spice Rub, which we used on steaks earlier this week. The clove flavor was too strong for Cooper, but I liked the dark intensity of the rub.

And you know what I really liked? Carrying home that little piece of Michigan.

Even if it did get us stopped at security.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails