We had a busy couple of days last weekend, with dinners out and housewarming parties and cousins visiting from Oklahoma and a first birthday party for Jeff and Christine's little boy Elliott. It was kind of exhausting, but a perfect time to try out a fall-ish recipe.
I started with this recipe for a sweet potato and black bean salad, made a few tweaks, and ended up with this super attractive and surprisingly tasty salsa:
- Cut all the vegetables much smaller than recommended - make everything bite-sized
- Toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil, in addition to the salt and pepper, before roasting
- Speaking of roasting, it took me 25 minutes, not the 15 advertised
- Swap out the mint for cilantro
- Add a splash of olive oil to the vinaigrette before tossing
And that's it. Toss, then serve with tortilla chips. A huge hit all the way around (on Saturday, when it was fresh, and again on Sunday). And have I mentioned the festive autumnal colors? Because it was pretty!