Monday, August 01, 2011

Peppers!

We went to Mary's family reunion in Ebensburg, Pennsylvania this past weekend. It was a blast from start to finish and the food was amazing.

I'll write more about the weekend as a whole after I upload my pictures, but for now, here's what amazed me most:

That's right - a giant trash bag filled with peppers. When we arrived (Cooper, Dixon, Bill and me, rolling up in the RV) on Saturday afternoon, about a third of Mary's relatives were already at the party. Everybody was eating stuffed peppers and sausages that Kyle's dad grilled on a wood-fired grill that's built into the ground. An hour or so later, another bunch of Mary's relatives arrived, hauling the bag you see above.

I was fascinated - I don't think I've seen that many peppers before. About six people sat down at a picnic table and started slicing and de-seeding (a couple wearing gloves, but most braved the pepper heat on their own). A few minutes later, they started covering the pepper halves in cheese and sliced garlic and tossing them on the grill.

Simple, but amazing. It's incredible how good food can be when it's in season. And cooked on a grill built into the ground. And covered in cheese. Even when it starts out in a trash bag.

[Photo credit: Bill. He very generously went up to the table and introduced himself so he could take a picture of everyone with his cell phone, just for me.]

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails