Thursday, September 16, 2010

Old School Thursday: Forks, Foil & Cinnamon Raisin Bread Edition

Today, September 16th, is National Cinnamon Raisin Bread Day, the Feast of St. Cornelius, patron of cattle and domestic animals, and the day before my mom’s birthday. It’s a big one.

Also, today in 1380, Charles V of France passed away. Charles V was one of the early monarchs who took a real interest in food, commissioning Taillevant to write Le Viander, which was the first professional cookery book written in France. Plus, the French started using forks during his reign. So, you know, that was a good thing – and if you’ve ever been to Medieval Times, where they make you eat with your hands, you know that’s true.

In other September 16th news, today in 1947, Reynolds Wrap, the first aluminum foil, went on sale. That makes me wonder: at what point in my life did I stop calling it Reynold’s Wrap, like my grandmother does, and start calling it foil? Probably around the same time I switched from Kleenex to tissue and Xerox to copy. Ah, the death of the brand-as-generic. But I digress.

So today, to celebrate? Well, use your forks. And your foil.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails