Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Quotable Tuesday: Out of Season

If you're lucky enough to be Irish, you're lucky enough. - My neighbor's bumper sticker

Maybe it was a walk down the street last week that, for whatever reason, inspired me to make the least end-of-summer meal I could imagine. Or maybe it was just that I was feeling ready for fall (and it was rainy last week). Either way, last Monday, I made this beef and stout pie, touted in a recent Williams Sonoma catalog.

Stilton, beef, carrots, onions, Guinness and a pastry crust. How totally seasonal of me.

But, you know, it was pretty delicious - especially the leftovers. Maybe not the ideal dinner for a humid day, and maybe about ten times as much food as Cooper and I could eat on our own, but the dish had flavor.

Unfortunately, it was also time-consuming, and I've made beef stews that taste just about exactly the same, but that didn't require an entire afternoon chained to the stove. I'll modify this recipe to make again, I'm sure. But maybe next time I'll wait until it actually is cold outside.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails