Friday, May 30, 2008

That Whole Rachael Ray Scarf Thing

After several days of trying to avoid it, I've started to feel compelled to comment on this Rachael Ray scarf drama (if you don't know what I'm talking about, read this). I can sum up my comments in one word: DUMB.

I've made no secret of my dislike for Rachael, but come on. She's not a terrorist. She's not even pretending to be a terrorist, unless you define terrorist as "really lucky and annoying faux-chef." I gather that the issue with the ad is less that RR is a proponent of jihad and more that a symbol of holy war has subtly creeped into fashion...but I still think that's silly. Don't get me wrong, I take cultural creep very seriously. I do. But I just don't think this particular situation represents an actual problem.

So that's one side of my complaint: everything's been blown out of proportion.

But the other side is similarly annoying to me. Dunkin' Donuts actually pulled the ad? For real? I have no words.

I'll grant that the stylist involved could've been more sensitive to potential misinterpretations, but can't we all just be grown up about this?

Sigh. This is why I didn't want to write about this whole deal to begin with. I can't even write coherently about the subject, plus now I'm going to spend the rest of the day rolling my eyes involuntarily.

In happier news: It's beautiful out. Perfect Belvedere Square weather!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails