Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Artsy Wednesday: Dali the Chef?



"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali

The image of Dali as a chef leads me to one spot: Ferran Adria. I've compared molecular gastronomy to cubism before - chefs break down the elements of food, then reconstruct them the same way Picasso and Braque reconfigured the elements of the face.

But isn't there also something surreal about truly inventive food? Oh, maybe Adria's work from 10 years ago isn't as shocking today as it once was. But it's still thought-provoking and outside the mainstream. It forces us to think about food in a way that defies convention.

This leads me to my next question: what is it about Spain? Dali, Picasso, Adria. A unique kind of genius comes out of Spain. Is it the land? The politics? Just the company?

Regardless, I think we should all feel lucky that Dali didn't stop on wanting to become Napolean. If his career in politics had come to fruition, I think we'd be living in a very, very strange world.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails