Sunday, April 13, 2008

Last Night's Dinner: Sausage & Pasta

We ate this on Wednesday and Thursday, so calling it "last night's dinner" is more than a stretch, but it's such a good dinner and I probably won't make it again until fall, so here I am, writing about it.

Our friend Steve was in town Wednesday, and sausage and pasta is one of his favorite things I make. It's been a staple for me ever since the September 2002 Food and Wine dropped in my mailbox. I was a very new cook then, so the recipe's simplicity appealed to me.

The first time I ever made the dish, on random weeknight in the fall of 2002, it was for Cooper and our friend (his roommate at the time), Sam. The recipe produces a very liquid sauce (it's just the sausage, cream, white wine, whole grain mustard and red pepper) and I thought I'd done something wrong. Two bites in, though, and we realized that I'd done everything exactly right. A new favorite was born.

Since that night, I've probably made this recipe 20 or 30 times. I've doubled it a few times to make it for a party. It's so easy and takes maybe 20 minutes to make. Plus, it's better the second day.

Makes me anxious for next fall, when I can start making it again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails