Friday, February 22, 2008

Dictionary Friday: Geropiga

geropiga
Partially fermented grape syrup made by stopping FERMENTATION of grape MUST while it still retains most of the sugar content. It's used in Portugal to sweeten PORT wines during the blending process. It is sometimes spelled jeropiga.


© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE WINE LOVER'S COMPANION, by Ron Herbst and Sharon Tyler Herbst.


I decided I should start using Dictionary Friday to learn some new words of my own, so this morning I scrolled through the Epicurious glossary for a while. It's really quite impressive - apparently unlike my vocabulary. I stopped on "geropiga" because I'd literally never seen the word before in my life. Though, in retrospect, I'm sure I heard it at some point during the tour of the port-maker in Oporto while we were on our honeymoon. And, while I'm rambling...what a great city...

1 comment:

Erin said...

Love the new look! Very exciting. See you later today!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails