Sunday, February 17, 2008

Art Theft: Easier in Europe

Slate's Explainer...explains why it's easier to steal a famous painting in Europe than it is in the US. In case you were deciding on the location of your next heist.

It does seem like art theft has been in the news an awful lot lately. Apprently thiefs worldwide are busy making sure that my romantic notion of the glamorous world of upscale thievery is alive and well.

And how is this about food? Let's see...well, my romantic notion of the glamorous world of upscale thievery does include big heist celebrations in tiny, but amazing Parisian or Venetian restaurants. Lots of champagne, gluttonous food, much revelry. So there's that.

Also: you know what I never read about, but I'm sure it happens? High-end wine thefts. Wine bottles are so transportable. I know that you'd have to be awfully specific about what you're stealing, but it must happen sometimes, right?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails