Monday, February 20, 2006

One More Reason to Love Food

It's healthier. In a New York Times op-ed, Harriet Brown reports that if you enjoy your food, your body will absorb more of its nutrients (note: this does work under the assumption that what you're eating is somewhat nutrient-rich to begin with.) Brown cites a study that found
"food that's unfamiliar (Thai food to Swedish women) or unappetizing (mush rather than solid food) winds up being less nutritious than food that looks, smells and tastes good to you."

Nothing but good news for food lovers everywhere. And, I have to believe, this doesn't come as a huge surprise to most food bloggers (or those who enjoy food enough to read food blogs.) Even before I read this article, I think I was operating under the assumption that having a good relationship with food and eating food you really like is somehow better for you, if only because you're happier when you take your time, enjoy your meals (and the company of those you eat your meals with) and don't force yourself to choke down food you really don't like. And when you're happier, your body knows it, and will thank you for it.

On that note, I think I'll dedicate today to my favorite foods. Heart of palm for dinner tonight!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails