Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Summer's Over

We go to Fenwick for Labor Day every year, for one last hurrah with Cooper's family.
It's how I know that summer is really and truly over.

When Dixon started school last week, it felt mostly over to me.
But we still had that weekend at the beach ahead of us.

And not just the weekend at the beach. We had our annual Seafood Fest to look forward to.

Every year, on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, we gorge ourselves on seafood.

Cooper grills clams, which we dip in Old Bay butter.
We buy shrimp (already steamed) and I eat way too many of them.

We have corn and tomatoes and a whole bunch of other stuff.

And best of all, Cooper's mom makes soft crabs.

She dredges them, very lightly, in flour mixed with Old Bay,
then sautees them in butter and oil.

They're awesome.

Cooper's dad makes dessert (he's a fantastic baker).

This year, without even knowing that I'd mentioned it here,  he made the
blueberry drop biscuit cobbler from the August issue of Bon Appetit

It was everything I'd hoped it would be (possibly more).

After dinner, we took a long walk and went to bed early, tired from a long day
at the beach and at the table.

Yesterday, we drove home and today, it's back to school for Dixon,
back to work for Cooper and back to my computer in the kitchen for me.

It's been a good, long summer - I still have a lot of writing to do about it.
Expect at least one or two more posts about our fourth of July at Keuka Lake,
our week in Duck, and our weekend in Vermont.

But for the rest of today, I'm looking forward. I've got deadlines to make and
parties to plan. This fall is shaping up to be a busy - but fun - one.

I hope everyone else's Labor Day was as delicious as ours.

Happy fall!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails