Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Rainy Day Dinner: Roasted Pepper & Tomato Soups with Jalapeno Cream

It's an ugly day out in Maryland. Which makes it perfect for a little soup -
and I have got just the recommendation.

Last week, I was in the mood for grilled cheese and tomato soup, but I didn't want just any tomato soup.
I wanted something special, and something special is what I found, in this recipe for dual soups - one roasted yellow pepper and one roasted tomato - topped with a cream of jalapenos and creme fraiche.

You can make the two soups and the cream ahead of time, but don't be fooled - even though the recipes are simple, they're time-consuming (which is why the photos I took are all blurry and crappy - I was tired and hungry). Time-consuming even though I skipped the final step of straining both soups. I don't mind a slightly rough texture, and I wasn't interested in adding an additional 20 minutes of strainer-wrangling to my weeknight dinner prep.

Though they take forever, both soups are so, so worth it. The roasted tomato is acidic and smoky, the yellow pepper is sweet and...smoky and the cream on top adds spice, but not too much. All together, the flavors are fantastic.

And even though I just sort of slopped the soups in a bowl, they looked really lovely. Great for a cold night at home, but also perfectly appropriate for a fancy dinner party.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails