Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Farmer's Market Surprise

We just got back home from a long, fun weekend in Michigan, visiting our friend Sam and his family. Sam was Cooper's roommate for a few years after college. At the time, he was in grad school in Maryland, getting his doctorate in math. Right around the time we got married, Sam finished school and accepted a job as a professor at Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, a small town in southern Michigan.

I've got tons of pictures from the weekend - a lot of which are of food and the big party Sam and Stacey threw on Sunday. I haven't had time to sort through all of them yet, but I did find this little gem - something I spotted at the Hillsdale Farmer's Market on Saturday morning:

I've spent my entire life living in states that started out as tobacco producers. In elementary school, at least one field trip revolved around historic tobacco farming (exploring our colonial roots and all). But I haven't ever seen tobacco plants at the market. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention?

These were tucked in with a lot of more standard plants. If we hadn't been flying home, I definitely would've gotten one for our garden. Just to try it.

As a whole, the farmer's market was full of nice surprises. Hillsdale is a tiny town, and it was a holiday weekend, so the market was only about three-quarters of its usual self. But there were tons of interesting jellies and honeys and pickles and other things I wanted to buy, but didn't want to carry through airport security.

More to follow!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails