Thursday, June 30, 2011

Old School Thursday: Legislation & Treats Edition

Today is a good one: National Ice Cream Soda Day. Charmingly retro, seasonally appropriate, delicious. Perfect all the way around.

The rest of today’s news is an odd mishmash of Americana. First, today in 1895, a patent was issued for an electric stove. While the electric stove isn’t all that great from a cooking perspective (I use gas), it was an important innovation in household appliances.

In slightly less appetizing news, today in 1906, Congress passed both the Pure Food & Drug Act and Meat Inspection Act. Since I don’t really want to think about what happened to get that law passed – how bad the meat really was – so let’s move on to 1936, when Congress approved the 40 hour work week. No, it’s not food-related, but I couldn’t help but include it because it seems so quaint today. Necessary at the time, for lots of reasons I’m sure, but I certainly know a lot of people who work more than a 40 hour week. I work “part-time” and am also a stay at home mom, and even I sometimes work more than a 40 hour week. So, thanks, Congress?

Finally, today in 1985 was a sad occasion, when James A. Dewar, creator of the amazing and oh-so-American treat known as the Twinkie, passed away.

With all of this, how should you celebrate today? I say, take the day off to celebrate the shorter workweek and have an ice cream soda and a Twinkie for a snack. But maybe skip the meat. I still don’t want to think about the meat.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails