Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Things I Bought in Chicago

We were in Chicago last weekend for our friends' Matt and Lindsay's wedding, which was beautiful and so much fun all the way around. We didn't get into town until Saturday morning (whirlwind trip) and the first thing we did was have brunch with Cail at a tiny, amazing restaurant called Jam (more on that later).

After brunch, Cooper and I were going to walk around a bit and Cail suggested we stop at a store she'd been to the day before. She told us that the shop, called Posh, was full of vintage French silver and dishes and other various things that I'm totally into. I was sold. Cooper was, too, since he likes a nice vintage shop at least as much as I do.

Well, Posh delivered. It was super well-curated and full of SO many things I wanted to take home. Sadly, I knew it wasn't really practical to carry a bunch of vintage airline appetizer plates on the plane (only $1 each! and imprinted with the airline name on the back!), and the vintage champagne coupes weren't going to make it through, either. There were, however, a few things I seriously couldn't resist. They were worth any extra trouble they'd bring at security:


I'm pretty much over my "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster, and I've been on the lookout for something new to hang in the living room. This vintage-looking map of Paris monuments is a reproduction, but it's super charming - not to mention, the colors are exactly right for the space.

This is the Eiffel Tower detail on the map.


Right when we walked into the shop, Cooper zeroed in on a basket full of vintage hotel and restaurant ashtrays. They were from all over Europe and we brought home this guy, from Portugal. It's for a spot called Porto Adega (adega means wine cellar) that was, at one point, in Villa Nova de Gaia, the small town where port is made, across the Duoro from Oporto. Cooper and I spent some time there on our honeymoon, so we thought it was appropriate.
  
Salt cellars! Right next to the ashtrays, there was a basket of tiny glass salt cellars on sale for $5 each. Since I have a salt and salt cellar fetish, I couldn't resist grabbing a bunch. Now I just need a whole lot more salt spoons.
 I was sorry to leave with only a handful of souvenirs. Maybe next time...

2 comments:

strawberriesinparis said...

I love that store!!!! I ordered a plate from their online shop like 4 years ago to hang on the wall in a montage. Then I was in Chicago and realized I needed to buy a cute gift so ran in there as my friends and I were walking down the street. 5 minutes later I realized it was the same store! I went back a year later and bought a cool canvas bag with some french stuff written on it, and now I use that as my gym bag!

Kit Pollard said...

Funny! And I am totally not surprised that you've been there - it definitely seems like your kind of place!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails