Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Reading Material

I've just done some renewing of magazines - Elle Decor and Food & Wine this month. As it turns out, a year's worth of F&W costs more than three times a year's worth of Elle Decor. When I first realized that, I thought, "Well, isn't that interesting? F&W thinks it's worth that  much more?"

Then I realized that F&W is right. Both magazines are priced just about correctly. They're similar in terms of production quality - ED is a little bit slicker maybe, with a larger format and slightly heavier paper - and I save them both. But I consume them in totally different ways. When you buy F&W, you're buying a short cookbook. When you buy ED, you're buying a glorified catalog.

Just a few random thoughts on periodicals...the kind I have on icy mornings when I have a cold.

4 comments:

Nakiya @ Taste of Baltimore said...

Have you ever subscribed to Saveur? I know a friend who LOVES that magazine.

Kit Pollard said...

I've never subscribed, but I've bought it here and there. It is a really good magazine. I think I prefer F&W, though, and I think it's probably for shallow reasons. I like the pictures of pretty people having parties...

Nakiya @ Taste of Baltimore said...

ahahahaha fair enough! I've actually never looked at either one, nor Bon Appetit! I tend to stay away from fancier food magazines because most of them have recipes that I know I will never use. Maybe one day though

Kit Pollard said...

I actually make at least one or two of the F&W recipes every month and have a few I go back to all the time. Some are crazy and intimidating, but every issue has some good ones that are reasonable. BA has some good weeknight type recipes - some are more logical than anything else, but they're good.

I actually don't use cookbooks much anymore - just the magazines and epicurious and the F&W website...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails