Thursday, January 20, 2011

Old School Thursday: Coffee, Liquor & Cheese Edition

Today is National Buttercrunch Day (whatever that means), Reindeer Day (I thought that was Christmas Eve) and St. Sebastian Day (he’s the patron saint of gardeners, who are likely feeling otherwise neglected, since it’s not exactly gardening season). This year, it’s also National Coffee Break Day, which is the sort of thing I’d normally mock, but since it’s to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the National Coffee Association, I won’t. It’s perfectly appropriate.

Today has a few other notable distinctions, as well. On January 20, 1920, The 50-50 Club opened, ushering in the era of the speakeasy. Prohibition went into effect on January 17, 1920, so it’s obvious that nobody wasted any time getting the drink back out there.

Today in 1964, the Wisconsin Cheese Foundation created the world’s largest cheese as a display for the 1964-65 World’s Fair in New York. The cheese, a 34,000 pound cheddar, was eaten at the 1965 annual meeting of the Wisconsin Dairymen & Cheesemakers Association. I love cheese – I mean, I really love cheese – but that sounds gross even to me. A cheese that big…could it taste good?

So to celebrate, then, today? Well, coffee, certainly. But maybe pour a little booze in it, just because we can.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails