Thursday, May 20, 2010

Old School Thursday: Balzac and Denim Edition

Today is National Quiche Lorraine Day. Like crepes Suzette, quiche Lorraine has all the qualities that I’ve come to expect from a food with a national day of honor. It’s sort of old-fashioned and very specific and kind of random. Plus – coincidentally? - they’re both French and named after women. But, like crepes Suzette, I like quiche Lorraine. In fact, I like it a lot, and try to eat it as much as possible. So I’m going to give it a pass.

Today is also St. Bernadine of Siena Day. She’s not a food-related saint, but she is the patron of advertisers, and since I spent a long time in advertising, I feel compelled to, well, advertise her day.

In other news, today is the 204th anniversary of the death of Christopher Columbus, without whom I never would’ve been born, since my ancestors would still be scattered all over the palest parts of northern Europe.

Nearly two centuries later, in 1799, French writer Honore de Balzac was born. Balzac had a bunch of food-related quirks: he ate only fruit and eggs while writing, then gorged himself on massive amounts of food when he took breaks. Also of note: in season three of the original 90210, the Balzac house is one of the first places Brenda and Donna visit in Paris. Which is obviously of great cultural significance.

Moving on. In 1810, some sources report that ice cream was served in the White House for the very first time, by first lady Dolly Madison (also famous for saving the portrait of George Washington during the White House fire and for being married to a man who went to The Greatest School in America.)

In 1874, Levis Strauss and Jacob Davis patented their design for jeans with copper rivets. And no, that’s not at all food-related, but neither is at least half of what I write on here.

Finally, today in 1993, the finale episode of Cheers aired. I was just about to graduate from high school and watched it with about 20 people at my friend Kerry’s house. And I don’t remember much at all about the show, but I do remember the overwhelming feeling of “everything’s ending” that comes with the end of high school. And apparently, with the end of a long-running sitcom.

So how to celebrate today? Put on some jeans and make yourself a quiche Lorraine while watching reruns of Bev and Cheers. Doesn’t sound like such a bad little Thursday, does it?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails