Monday, November 23, 2009

Trendy Monday: Pimento Cheese

It's been a big couple of years for southern flavors in general, and I certainly don't mind that - especially as it pertains to pork (or Kevin). But this month has been an especially big one for pimento cheese, that weird combination of cheddar cheese, pimentos, and mayonnaise that has graced southern tables for generations.

Retro appetizers have been making something of a comeback (thanks, Mad Men), so between their resurgence and the popularity of southern flavors, I haven't been surprised to read about pimento cheese here and there for the past few months. This month, though, I was a little surprised to see pimento cheese recipes in both Food & Wine and Bon Appetit (neither recipe is online yet). Both magazines recommend the cheese as a nice little homemade holiday gift.

Since I don't like mayonnaise, I'm not actually that into the taste of pimento cheese. But I like it for its roots, anyway. Not every food has to tell a story. But it's kind of nice when they do. And pimento cheese? It does.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails