Friday, October 16, 2009

Want: Chihuly

At Tom and Cail's wedding last week, we met a bunch of Cail's cousins, including one who recently graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design. That reminded me that it had been a while since I'd been to the RISD website. I love art school website stores, and on-campus sales, like the MICA sale at Christmastime. They're such an amazing source of gifts. For others and for me.

The RISD site has an entire section devoted to the work of Dale Chihuly, a 1968 graduate of the school. I love Chihuly's work, especially his glass art, which is amazing and organic and captivating in a Where the Wild Things Are-plus-color sort of way.

The piece at the right is called "Ikebana Pals," and it's made using an individual printing technique, a la poupee. It evokes some of the same feelings as his tangled webs of glass, even if it's not quite as powerful as the 3-D works.

And food. It also reminds me of food. There's something organic and vegetably about it, isn't there? Like stalks of chives growing out of bright blue pots.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails