Toyota has been traveling to farmers' markets around the country to help promote local food products...and to show off the third generation Prius and the 2009 hybrid Highlander. It sounds like a fun event, with prizes and giveaways and fresh herbs (pictured at left, in Portland).
Toyota has partnered with local farms and chefs to showcase Baltimore-made products. The chefs will man booths throughout the farmers' market, on Toyota's behalf, giving away free sample tastings of dishes made with local farmers' products.
The list of chefs is impressive - it's kind of a who's who of local ingredient-loving chefs:
- Jesse Sandlin of Abacrombie
- Chris Paternotte of Taverna Corvino
- Patrick Morrow of Ryleigh’s Oyster
- Michael Costa of Pazo
- Spike Gjerde of Woodberry Kitchen
- Ben Troast of Regi’s American Bistro
- Kiet Philavanh of Pizzazz Tuscan Grille
- Sandy Lawler of Feast @ 4 east
- Rashad Edwards of Meli Patisserie & Bistro
- Brian Martin of Kali’s Court
- Bill Crouse of Sotto Sopra
- Jason Gehring, pastry chef of Cinghiale
The event runs from 8 am to 12 pm. Really, is there a better, healthier-feeling way to start off a Sunday morning? OK, yoga. But this is pretty close, and way more fun if you ask me.
[Photo courtesy of the Toyota Hybrid Farm-to-Table Tour.]