Thursday, September 03, 2009

Old School Thursday: Random Odds & Ends Edition

Today is National Welsh Rarebit Day. Just when I think I am so jaded that no “national day” will shock me, something like this comes along. It’s not like we’re in Wales. That would at least make sense.

In other news, today in 1881, Lorenzo Delmonico died. He founded the first truly famous NYC restaurant, Delmonico’s, which, sadly, was a victim of Prohibition.

And in 1912, the first cannery opened in England. It supplied food to the Royal Navy. It’s hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that modern canning was only really getting its start 100 years ago, and yet we have already come full circle. Canned food is still a staple of many diets, of course, but not nearly the way it was 50 years ago. History moves fast.

So clearly, celebration today has to involve Welsh rarebit. Right?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails