Friday, September 25, 2009

Entertaining Friday: Garden & Gun


Consider this a PSA. Even if you aren't from the South, even if you don't like guns, and even if you don't do any gardening whatsoever, you should start reading Garden & Gun.

It's a relatively new magazine - just a couple of years old - and includes some of the best written pieces I've seen in print in a long time. The writers have their own voices and they're given enough space to tell real stories. I am not kidding when I say that this story - about croquet, of all things - had me more engaged than anything else I've read this year.

But in addition to the reading, G&G is full of fantastic ideas. The magazine's weekly email newsletters are actually worth signing up for and reading. They're full of interesting little tidbits and recommendations, like great cookbooks published by Southern authors, and notices about events that might be too far away to attend, but they're fantastic inspiration anyway.

The photo above comes from an invitation to a party called the Lowcountry Field Feast, which involves a James Beard award-winning chef cooking a family-style supper on a South Carolina farm. Sounds amazing, right? Plus, super-long outdoor tables covered in white tablecloths = my dream dinner party setting.

It will happen in my backyard one day. It will.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails