Thursday, February 12, 2009

Old School Thursday: Scientific Life Cycle Edition

Doesn’t it seem like National Fondue Day should be this week? Maybe I just think that because I know I’ll be having some at Mike and Alicia’s wine tasting this weekend.

Anyway, that was last week, not today. Today, instead, is National Plum Pudding Day, which seems more appropriate for, say, December. It’s also St. Julian the Hospitaler Day. “Hospitaler” as in hospitality, not hospitals. He’s the patron saint of travelers and innkeepers.

In other news, today was sort of a crazy day in terms of births and deaths. In 1791, Peter Cooper was born. He’s probably most famous as the founder of Cooper Union, but he also was the first American to get a patent for manufacturing gelatin.

Eighteen years later, in 1809, Charles Darwin was born. I’m pretty sure I don’t have to spell out his achievements.

Moving into the 20th century, today is the anniversary of the death of famous chef Auguste Escoffier (1935). Escoffier was a bit of an Emeril in his day (can you hear him turning over in his grave at the description? Me too) – really. Not content to just cook and write, he was also an active consultant and lent his name to spices and sauces.

Today also marks the anniversary of the death of Charles M. Schulz (2000), creator of the Peanuts comic strip, which happens to be one of my favorites – especially the earlier strips, with their crazy dry humor.

And in other news, today in 1976, Red Dye No. 2 was banned by the FDA. As a result, red M&Ms were pulled from the market for 11 years. Which just made me realize that I never had a red M&M until I was at least 11 years old. Kind of crazy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails