Monday, December 01, 2008

Trendy Monday: Everything's New

Last night, I started reading Calvin Trillin's The Tummy Trilogy, a collection of Trillin's first three food books, written between 1974 and 1982. I'm only about 40 pages in (if that) but already I've been reminded, over and over again, that just about everything food-related that I take for granted these days - ethnic restaurants, hummus, salsa, even fresh vegetables at Trader Joe's - is a new phenomenon in this country.

It's just nice, sometimes, to be reminded that I'm lucky that I can find 50 fancy cheeses within 3 miles of my house. And that at least a dozen of those will be made by local artisanal cheesemakers.

These are good food times. Thanks, in part at least, to writers like Trillin.

1 comment:

Tangled Noodle said...

I just picked up Tummy Trilogy from the library as part of my research for a class paper. Can't wait to start reading it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails