Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Quotable Tuesday: Lists

Pick up any national magazine, flip through the pages, and count the number of short articles you see. They can include those little 3-inch fillers, short quizzes, 400-word “how-to” articles or resource boxes. Editors love them. - Joan Stewart, writing a list of ways to get published

A lot of writers complain a lot about how lame lists are. They're all over national pubs and, OK, some of them are really pretty pathetic.

But, you know, the more I write, the more I kind of like a list. Maybe I'm a hack, but I find lists really satisfying. Easy, yes, but who says writing has to be total hell? Also, don't tell anyone for fear of me ruining my literati cred, but I love reading lists.

This is probably why four of the last five Examiner articles I've written have been lists. They're not bad, though - all holiday party and gift ideas. Possibly even helpful, if you're looking for something to buy me, at least.

Are lists really that bad?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails