1. something given voluntarily without payment in return, as to show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or make a gesture of assistance; present.
2. the act of giving.
3. something bestowed or acquired without any particular effort by the recipient or without its being earned: Those extra points he got in the game were a total gift.
4. a special ability or capacity; natural endowment; talent: the gift of saying the right thing at the right time. –verb (used with object)
5. to present with as a gift; bestow gifts upon; endow with.
6. to present (someone) with a gift: just the thing to gift the newlyweds.
I've got gifts on my mind lately. For one thing, yesterday, Cooper's mom watched Dixon for the day and I did nearly all of my Christmas shopping - which was a huge relief. It's different to shop when you've got a two year old in the house (Dixon's letter to Santa was pretty hilarious, but he did make Mommy proud by asking for a kitchen and a toolbench.)
On top of that, today's Cooper's birthday. Really, we'll be celebrating all weekend, but we kick off tonight with dinner at Mama's on the Half Shell. We haven't been there in a while, and I've been ready to eat there ever since October, when we used dinner at Mama's as a cover for Bill's surprise 35th birthday party (related: apparently I never wrote about that party? Well, it was fun.)
And finally, I've been busy over at Examiner.com writing a short series about great gifts for foodies. I've got one more to write next week (the "over $100" category) but if you're looking for gifts for...I don't know...me, you could do worse than something on this list or this one.
Also, if you're looking for some cool places to shop, try one of these:
- The MICA Art Market. In the Brown Building - that newish, cool, modern building on Mount Royal. I went to the art market yesterday and bought two gifts for other people and one for me. There's a ton of cool stuff there.
- Gore Dean Antiques. This newish location in the old Smith & Hawken building in Mt. Washington is full of tons of cool stuff. Especially if you have an unlimited budget.
- A Carroll Colonial Christmas at the Mount Clare Mansion. This is this afternoon (2-4) and all day tomorrow (10-4) and kickass local food and design blogger Pigtown Pigout (aka Meg) will be there, selling her wares.
- Also, think about buying some jewelry from theminx. Support your local bloggers!