Thursday, September 11, 2008

Old School Thursday: September 11th

In terms of food events, today’s not a very big day. The Harvest Festival in Hungary and National Hot Cross Bun Day (Why in September? Why not at Easter?). Today in 1851, Sylvester Graham died. On the plus side, he invented the Graham cracker, but on the somewhat less gourmet tip, he was an outspoken advocate of vegetarianism and temperance.

And that’s it. Except that today is, of course, the seventh anniversary of the World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks.

Not really about food, of course, but one of the things I remember best about the day is what I ate – or didn’t eat. I was working downtown and our building was evacuated in late morning. I spent a couple of hours at the bar across the street with my coworkers, and then went back to the house that I shared with my friend Alison. She also worked downtown and had also been evacuated.

We sat on the sofa for a few hours watching Peter Jennings and we finally decided that we were going to have to eat something, so we ordered sushi. We went to pick it up and went to Blockbuster on our way home, thinking that we’d watch a movie instead of more hours of news that didn’t really tell us anything, well, new.

Instead, we took the sushi back to Alison’s boyfriend’s house (they’re married now) and we watched more news. Actually, I’m not sure that we really did eat anything.

We’re so removed from it now, but if I try I can still recall that intense non-feeling of shock and disbelief. I hope I never have to feel that again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails