Monday, July 14, 2008

Trendy Monday: Medellin

I don't know a whole lot about South America. For whatever reason, I didn't learn a lot about it in school and I've never been there. It kind of feels like the new Europe, though - I know a lot of people who have traveled to Brazil, Argentina and Chile over the past few years.

Colombia, though, still seems like no-man's land. Maybe it's the news out of the country. Well, yes, of course it's the news out of the country. Guerrilla anything seems detrimental to the tourist trade.

But doesn't the potential for kidnapping also give places a sort of mysteriously sexy vibe? Not so mysteriously sexy that I'm going to pack up the diaper bag and get on the next flight to Bogota, but definitely enough to end up on, say, Bourdain. Which is exactly where Colombia is right now. It's kind of hot.

I first heard of Medellin, the second largest city in Colombia and former HQ of Pablo Escobar, on Entourage. I can't be the only one, right?

But that was, what, two years ago? This past week, I've read an article (I think in Wallpaper*) about the place and it's the featured location on tonight's No Reservations.

Three mentions is, officially, a trend, right?

In unrelated news: it's Bastille Day! Am trying to figure out an appropriately French meal to make for tonight's dinner.

UPDATE: And also, this WaPo article from last Friday (via one of Bourdain's commenters). DEFINITELY a trend. Somebody on the Medellin tourist board deserves a raise.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails