Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Quotable Tuesday (and Last Night's Dinner): Bastille Day Hangover

If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.-Ernest Hemingway
I'm blatantly cheating here. I've used this quote before. I just like it so much. But since I am cheating, here's another quote I like (even though it's not about food):

In America only the successful writer is important, in France all writers are important, in England no writer is important, and in Australia you have to explain what a writer is."-Geoffrey Cottrell
It's the morning after Bastille Day, so I still have the French on my mind. We celebrated last night with salad and croque monsieurs, and elephant ears for dessert, courtesy of Barefoot in Paris. It was not a light meal. Thank God for the salad because the croques monsieurs were cheesy and salty and creamy and so rich all the way around. But fantastic.

And to drink?

Domaine de Fontsainte rose. During a regular trip to Wells on Saturday, I got into a long conversation with the owner (who might be Dixon's biggest fan). He recomended this $10 rose, saying that a lot of people have been shying away from the roses since they're, well, pink and a little too visually reminiscent of white zin. But, he insisted, they're really great.

I'd read a lot about roses this season - about how drinkable they are and that they're ideal for summer with or without food. They're not expensive, so I couldn't see any reason not to give it a try. Glad I did, too, because Cooper and I both really enjoyed it. Sort of stuck between a white and a red, the rose is as refreshing as a sauvignon blanc but its (nearly) as interesting as a pinot noir. Plus, great with food. Especially piles of cheese, like we ate last night.

I think I'm going to pick up some more today.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails