Thursday, June 05, 2008

Old School Thursday: Beer, Blackberries & Gingerbread Edition

Despite the fact that it’s June, today would be a good day to make the Sweet Melissa Guinness gingerbread. It’s Gingerbread Day (I know, I thought it would be in December, too) and also the feast day of St. Boniface, patron saint of brewers. Cheers!

Also, if it rains today (and so far this year, when hasn’t it rained?) that means the blackberries will be small and full of seeds. Interesting timing, as I’ve just recently decided to start a new blog feature in which I try to locate or recreate foods that I loved when I was a kid. The first one on my list? My grandfather’s blackberry jelly, which was super full of seeds. I might be the only person in America who really likes seedy blackberry jelly.

Beyond the gingerbread, beer and blackberries, today is the usual collection of randomness. In 1856, the first Vegetarian Community was established in Kansas. Twenty years later, bananas got their first widespread introduction in the US when they were wrapped in foil and sold at the Centennial Expo in Philly. And today in 1883, Horlick’s developed the process to dehydrate milk.

Common thread? No, I can’t find it either. So leave me to my beer and blackberries.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails