Monday, February 11, 2008

Valentine's Day Preview

I read something earlier this week, possibly on Elizabeth Large's blog, comparing dining out on Valentine's Day to drinking on New Year's Eve - it's amateur night all over the place.

That pretty much sums up my take on V-Day restaurants. I'm not that into the holiday as a whole, anyway - it just seems so contrived to me. (At least, I'm anti-V in theory. Unfortunately for Cooper, I absolutely insist that he get me nothing for the holiday, only to be depressed every February 15th when I find out that one of my friends got six million tulips from her husband. But I digress.)

Despite my antipathy, we do celebrate a little bit. It's as good a reason as any to make a nice dinner. I started my planning early this year, since I was kitchenless for so long and had nothing to do but fantasize about meals I'd make when I was back in business.

So this Thursday, we're going for rich and excessive. Some sort of red meat, possibly wrapped in bacon, and potatoes with truffles (probably this recipe). Oh and - right. Some sort of vegetable.

And for dessert, I'm going to do a little experimenting, using Nat MacLean's guidance. She has a whole list of wines she recommends with chocolate. Many of them are sweet, and we're not really into that, but I'm definitely intrigued by the idea of bittersweet chocolate matched with the Italian red Amarone.

Now I just have to remember to actually shop for the food to make this meal. Because if I forget and we have to have pizza again, well, it would be a very unhappy Valentine's Day indeed.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Making my wife's favorite dish on Thursday... it's a Latin Pork Shoulder recipe from Joy of Cooking and we usually make a large enough roast that we can have it for a few days.

Kit Pollard said...

That sounds amazing.

I'm a little nervous about making something brand new, but it really does seem like an appropriate day to use truffles for the first time...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails