Thursday, December 15, 2005

Review of a Mediocre Recipe


boring halibut
Originally uploaded by Kit Pollard.

I think the photo above accurately sums up my dinner last night. It was beige.

Unfortunately, I'd been expecting something a little closer to red hot. I know that we don't eat enough fish, so last night I decided to get a head start on our "eat healthier" New Year's resolution. Food & Wine had a recipe that sounded good - chorizo-crusted cod. I figured, with a little spicy sausage in the mix, it can't be too blah, right? Right. So off to the fishmonger's I went...

I came home with some halibut (which the recipe recommended as an alternative to cod) and a dry, hot Italian sausage (I thought that would work in place of the chorizo).

The recipe was super easy to make - all I had to do was chop an ounce and a half of the sausage in my mini-Cuisinart (I think I added more), add a half a cup of bread crumbs, some salt and some pepper, and combine. I dredged the top of the fish in that mixture, placed it in an oiled pan, and baked it for 12 minutes.

After baking, I stuck the fish under the broiler for a minute to brown the top. In the meantime, I sauteed some zucchini, squash and onion (yes, I know, not terribly seasonal) and make broccoli and cheese couscous. At least those were good.

But the fish...not so much. Not that it was bad, exactly, but it was boring. Even if I hadn't undercooked Cooper's piece (and he was being a bit of a baby about it), dinner would have been less than impressive.

Somehow, in all the chopping, the sausage lost all of it's bite. We tested the sausage before cooking, too, and it was delicious on it's own, so I can only blame myself and my Cuisinart.

So last night's dinner reminded me exactly why we don't eat more fish, especially halibut: it's bland. Maybe if I'd had a little crab imperial for the top. Or some hollandaise.

Mmm...hollandaise. That will ease us back into healthy eating.

1 comment:

Alysha said...

I was very intrigued by your blog's name - love it.

Speaking of ginger and bland fish, there is a recipe for Broiled Tilapia with Coconut Curry Sauce that is anything but bland. It's a Cooking Light recipe, so it's also low-fat and healthful. You can check out Cooking Light.com for the recipe - it's also on my blog.

I have several other recipes for fish that are not at all bland - I'll try to remember to post them to my blog sometime in the next few days if you're interested. I'm not a huge fish fan, but my husband is and my boys like it too - and since it's good for you, I keep trying.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails