Thursday, September 29, 2005

A View into My Soul


recipe spreadsheet
Originally uploaded by Kit Pollard.
A few months ago, I decided I wasn't using my food and wine magazines efficiently enough. If I'm going to collect hundreds of magazines, I should really be using them, not just reading them for pleasure. Not that I never used them - but I regularly thought recipes sounded good, only to forget about them once I'd finished reading the articles.

At that point, my crazy organized evil twin took over - and opened up Excel. The result was either amazing or ridiculous, depending on your attitude towards spreadsheets. Over the past months, I've been logging every interesting (and feasible) recipe I read about in a magazine, on the internet, or even in a cookbook.

The recipes are sortable by type (dessert, brunch, etc.), by description, and by publication/issue/page. There's also a very tiny notes section, but considering that I've only made a few of the hundreds of recipes listed, it's not all that helpful just yet.

But there is something so, so soothing for me in scrolling through all those nice, neat rows of recipes. So much potential...so much promise.

Now if I could just rip myself away from the computer long enough to cook something!

1 comment:

Just some girl said...

I don't know if you have a PC or a Mac, but there's a freeware program called Yum! for the Mac - I've got about 2000 recipes in there so far, mostly copied and pasted off the internet, many typed in from magazines, etc. I HIGHLY recommend it! (And no, I don't work for them - I just think it's amazing that it's free! And you can have all your recipes there! And categorize them however you want! And it's totally searchable, even by ingredient! And it will scale recipes! And it's FREE!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails